I am pleased to announce the launch of Aeolian Alexanders, a NEH-Mellon funded digital publication project. This combines social network analysis, historical geographic information systems, digital humanities, linked data, and numismatics. Check out the site, or take a twitter tour.
The project consists of a number of different elements, including
- A jupyter notebook that displays the narrative
- A jupyter notebook for a “lab book” for further exploration of geospatial networks
- The project site that provides stable URIs and images for every coin and die in the study
- Experimental visual displays for die linkages
- A collection of files treating ancient empires as networks instead of polygons on a map
- The full project database in SQLite
Check out the offerings on the project’s GitHub site.